Monday 17 March 2014

Simple Supper Recipe

I haven't posted a recipe here for a while, so in belated honour of St. David's Day,* here is one of or family favorites: leeks on toast. 


First a note on toast: I always use our homemade sourdough. Its sharp taste and firm texture is really well suited to being loaded up with rich and delicious topping. Stick two or three slices per head under the grill and get started on the leeks.

Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan (I always use my wok) and add the cleaned and chopped leeks. I allow one large leek per head. Sweat the leeks down like onions, with black pepper and thyme. Our thyme comes from a very healthy potted bush in the garden, and is abundant all year around...but do check for caterpillars!

Don't forget to check and turn the toast!

When the leeks are cooked add a sluice of cream and mix it in with the buttery leeky juices, then add a couple of handfuls of grated cheese. I use mature cheddar because it's always in the fridge, but you could use anything. I'd love to try Stilton but Husband objects. Mix in the cheese until it has melted ad thickened the sauce.

Ladle the leek mixture onto the toast and put it back under the grill until the cheesy sauce starts to colour, and serve. The whole prep should take about ten minutes, and the food is hot, filling, and at least a little bit nutritious. I hope some of you try it, do come back and let me know how you get on!

E

* Yes, I do know it's St. Patrick's Day today, maybe I'll randomly give you my recipe for ham, cabbage and champ next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment