Saturday 7 April 2018

A Midwife's Story

Last year I had a wee hunger to hear about different birth cultures around the world. I think it was fuelled by Sheila Kitzinger's accounts in her autobiography of the different birth cultures she encountered around the world. I read quite a few things that took me to various different parts of the world, including this little gem:


A Midwife's Story, by Penny Armstrong and Sheryl Feldman. I notice that it has recently been republished, so I thought I would share it with you. If you are interested in birth or the lives of women then this is a book for you. It is a beautiful, moving account of the lives not only of the midwife, but of the women of the Amish community which she served. Told with humour and without criticism, these stories give insight into the joys and challenges faced by Amish women giving birth. The writing style is easy to read, and I'd chose it over an airport paperback any day. If you enjoy Call the Midwife you'll love this one too.


I'm looking forward to reading A Wise Birth by the same authors. I hope some of you enjoy this book too! It really is a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment